Bible Verse

This is the day the LORD has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 188:24



Friday, May 9, 2008

My day at middle school

Today I worked at a middle school, I turned down a middle school job earlier this week because I was scared, and I really needed a job so I took it. On my way I asked God for strength and patience and the wisdom to teach these kids. I know that middle schoolers are challengin, it's a tough age and I purposely went in with an open mind and a positive attitude. I'm walking down the halls with kids that are my height or taller so I'm a little nervous, but the day started off okay. Getting a little bit worse in the middle and by the last two periods I was so ready to go home. Now don't get me wrong, it's not every single student that's a problem, it's usually just a handful that ruin it for the whole class. There were a half a dozen kids that were perfectly fine, listened and did what they were supposed to. It's the kids that don't listen, backtalk, have attitudes and are disrespectful that make it a bad day. I dealt with the kids, it was one day and I got through it. The thing that got me as I'm walking to my car, tears coming down my face, is that someday Luke will be this age and to think of him acting like these kids just overwhelmed me. What a horrible feeling as a parent to think that someday that could be my kid. Thinking that this innocent, sweet little boy could turn into someone who has no respect and is cocky and rude. I sat in my car praying to God to give me the strength and guidance to raise my son to not turn out to be like that. I can worry all I want about how he'll turn out, what I need to do is have faith that God will direct my path and well as Luke's to follow his will. I felt better after that. It was just a really hard day for me today, praise the Lord for his strength and comfort.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hey Marissa, Your mom passed your blog along to my mom who passed it along to me, so I figured I would check out what is happening on the other side of the country and this title intrigued me. (Middle and high school are my favorites to teach!) Sorry to hear your day was so rough, but I woud like to offer a little unsoliceted advise. Much like the little ones that you like to teach older kids can smell fear (they're like animals) - they just have more tools at their disposal to torment you.My suggestion is the next time - and there will be a next time if you continue to teach - is to tell yourself on the way to the school that YOU are the adult, YOU are in charge, and YOU are in control. SHOW NO FEAR!!! and don't be afraid to throw a kid out of class if nessasary.As for Luke - do not rely soley on God to guide him into becoming a respectful teen, that is why you're here, God gave you the tools. If you require your children to be respectful at three and continue those lessons it is more likely than not that they will be respectful at 13 and still at 23. This is not to say that they won't do something foolish - they will, we all did.Hope this helps a little and it's great to see all the pictures.Steph