Bible Verse

This is the day the LORD has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 188:24



Thursday, September 16, 2010

too much stuff!

I have a total issue with shopping. Spending money is my vice. It's definately something that I need the Lord's help with. Now it's not like I go to expensive department stores or fancy boutiques or anything. I'm not going out and buying a $500 pair of shoes, I just go to normal places to get regular stuff; target, wal mart, the grocery store, goodwill. But it's like I always find something that I can't live without, I have to have it, and I hate that feeling. It's like the devil is whispering in my ear 'oh you can't live without that, buy it now or someone else will, it's so cute, you have to have it'. And then I get home and feel guilty, so what do I do? I go and return it (which totally drives my husband insane). He tells me it's a sickness and I need help:) Lovingly of course. I go leave the house with lmy shopping lists; specific things in mind and I usually come out way over doing it. Why can't I just stick to the lis? What can Ireally not live without? How much of what I buy is actually necessity? No wonder my kids are always asking for stuff; we live in a society that is always telling us we need to have this or that, we need the new better bigger whatever. My kids watch tv in the morning and I am getting so sick of hearing all the commercials advertising all this junk...and then my kids say 'oh I want this, I want that'. We learn at such a young age to "want stuff". My daughter is 3. Do we need it? NO!. "Oh so and so has this, I need to get this too". I'm trying to teach them to be grateful for what they have, but I guess it's learn by example because most of the time I totally miss the grateful bus. We go through their toys when we have garage sales or to take stuff to the thrift store and sometimes it's hard for me to get rid of some of their stuff. I want my kids to be happy but really happiness is not measured by how much stuff we collect. And really the only thing that we truly need is God, everthing else is worldly stuff. He will provide for our needs, He loves us unconditionally...we don't need to have the newest bigger faster anything. He just wants us to have a relationship with him, serve him, love him and love others. I am naturally self centered, there's no two ways about it, it is so hard sometimes (most times) to put my needs/wants aside and put myself out there to help someone else unselfishly. Our God is awesome, and when I push away all the self-centeredness and bless someone else with a joyful heart, He will then bless me. That is what I want to teach my kids, and it's totally a struggle because I'm still learning.

No comments: